Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Little By Little, Home Sweet Home

In my previous post I mentioned that we would be leaving Brooksville this past Monday, barring any unforeseen circumstances. Something that needed to happen on our way out of here is to get all our tow components installed. Well as luck would have it, the RV shop has been so busy that they couldn't get even get us in until this coming Monday. So....we are still here in Brooksville. It's really not been a problem and allowed us to spend Easter with family. Hopefully all goes well Monday and we will finally be on the road again! Almost four months is a LONG time to be parked in one spot.

At least we've been able to complete a lot of projects while ensconced here. First came the flooring, then the couch removal and then the hardware update, all of which I've already documented here. Next up was a huge project for me; making all new curtains to replace the cruddy blinds. It took me a couple of weeks to complete. I love to sew, but I enjoy smaller projects over great big ones. And I also prefer working from patterns. What absolutely kills me with sewing without a pattern is the math involved. It hurts my head.The technical stuff in sewing I'm good with. But math.....NO!!!!!!!  :)

Anyway, once I had everything figured and marked and cut it went great. Just time consuming. And in the end? All worth it! The RV feels so much homier, so much more "ours".

BEFORE

Too much pink, too much dust, & broken which is why we had to use a velcro strap to keep them rolled up during the day. And fugly valances too!

AFTER

Recovering the valances was a last minute decision. So glad we went for it! It was super easy and completed the transformation.



And in the bedroom. The fabric in the bedroom is the same style/colors but a slightly different design. Also, no valances in the bedroom.

Another curtain I made was to cover the cubby hole where we removed the TV from in the bedroom. We use it for storage now and wanted to hide the contents.






Better, right? We knocked out a couple of other little projects as well. The shower curtain that came with the RV was cheap, ugly and horrid vinyl. We had kept our nice shower curtain form our apartment but it needed some modifying to fit the RV shower. This pic sort of shows the old one.


And here's the modified nice one.



It's really hard to take good pictures into such a tiny room. The last project came into being because of my fall down the makeshift entry steps a month ago after our electric steps had quit working. We simply were using a couple of small plastic step stools outside the door. They were nowhere near steady enough to be using. I'm still dealing with the injuries I sustained from that fall! Karin's dad took it upon himself to make us a better set of steps to use. They are two separate wood boxes that when not in use nest inside each other for easy storage. They are much wider and so much more stable. We can use little wood wedges underneath them to make them nice and level on uneven ground. Thanks Ken!!!


And that concludes this installment of RV updates. We still have plenty of things to tackle. But for now we are ready to just enjoy our space and go on adventures!




14 comments:

  1. Mom, link your text to the other posts you have already done. This helps your blog be seen by more people and helps them spend more time on your site! Little by little! And I didn't know you fell.....hopefully didn't need crutches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Stacey! I think about doing that from time to time and then I get all lazy and whatever and stupid. I need to get more serious. So....smack me around a little and set me on the right path. :)

      Delete
    2. P.S.- No crutches were required! But it has been slow going on the healing since I re-injured it just two weeks later. And I am now ridiculously cautious going down the stairs. I have fallen too many times in my life!!! But I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. My foot is regaining more normal mobility. :)

      Delete
  2. Did you take down the valance to recover it?

    Did you remove the valance in the bedroom, or did it not have one?

    Love your shower curtain!

    We have that former-TV-cubbyhole, too. Before I could say hey, that would be good for... Annie shoved her clothes into it. :D

    Those steps are much like the steps Annie made for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roxie- We did take the valances down, which turned out to be easy peasy once we figured out I'm a lot better with a screwdriver than Karin is. Draw your own conclusions. :) The bedroom didn't actually have valances. Not sure why since they were the same blinds. So we just put up cafe curtain rods and didn't fret over the lack of a topper. Oh and for the curtains up front we used tension rods. And your entry steps provided inspiration for our steps. Not exactly the same, but similar for sure. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I needed this info. I have a lot of valances in my new rig that are covered with sort of an ice blue polyester upholstery fabric that I will definitely want to replace.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Garret! I see you're in Ft. Myers right now. But I think because a relative died? If I've deduced correctly, my condolences to you.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, my Grandmother, thanks Brenda.

      Delete
  4. Great fabric for your new curtains. I hate the patterns RV manufacturers use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Teri! I always think to myself..."someone is getting paid to come up with this??? How come I've never been paid to do such crappy work?". :)

      Delete
    2. Well, and the colors they pick, too. What can they be thinking? Most of the RVers I know are...hmm...bigger than life people? Adventurous? Why the tame color schemes? OK, I'm done whining now...

      Delete
  5. I love the vibrant colors you have chosen. I will never understand why RV colors are so drab.

    I really like the boxes over the front steps, just a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I suppose the RV manufacturers are trying to appeal to the largest number of purchasers possible, so keep things very neutral. Naaaa....that can't be the reason. That stuff appeals to NO one. lol Or maybe it's just that they aren't made as "homes" just getaway spaces, so looks aren't all that important. Naaaa...that can't be it either. They go all out with stainless steel and granite and whatnot after all. Guess they just have poor taste after all. :)

      Delete