Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Throne Fit For a Queen

In our ongoing quest to improve the interior space of the RV, another relic of the 90's has bit the dust. Goodbye mauve/green floral couch! After buying the RV it was our intention to keep the couch as it seemed quite comfortable and it does make into a bed that could be used for any overnight guests. But some things just don't shake out as you plan, now do they?

After a couple of months of hanging out on the couch Karin decided that it was getting kind of saggy and NOT too comfortable. The decision was made to replace it with a very comfy reclining chair with ottoman. The pros to this were: less of that dated fabric in the RV, a more comfortable seat and a roomier feel to the living area. The cons were: loss of available seat spaces for guests, loss of the guest bed and then of course the expense of the new chair.

We decided that the only overnight guests we were likely to have might be my grandkids and they could sleep in sleeping bags. As for the additional seating, we should still have plenty. We can still seat six people comfortably inside. We find it doubtful that we would really need to seat anymore than that. And the added cost? Worth it for being comfortable!

Here is what came with the RV. A reminder; just click on the pics to see 'em bigger!

We kept the dog.  :)

 We had anticipated it would be a lot of work to get the couch out of the RV. We measured the couch. We measured the door. We figured the only way it was coming out would be to take it apart. After fighting and fighting with the very first bolt and getting nowhere at all, we decided what the heck.....we're gonna go ahead and try our luck at getting it out in one piece. Should've gone with that from the start! It slipped out the door with hardly any maneuvering at all. Of course.   

Next came putting together the new chair. This is what we had purchased: Thank You Amazon! :) It was relatively easy to assemble. It came with a grand total of ten screws. Unfortunately there were no written instructions; only pictures. A couple of the steps took some serious playing around to figure out. Like that? Serious playing???  I live for that stuff.   :)

Some assembly required

Dexter being ever so helpful

Curious cats....go figure!

Tah da!
The new arrangement is so much better. We were able to move Dexter's crate to the other side which gave me room for my legs over in the chair I usually use. I had been sitting sideways with his crate jabbing my leg. Who wants that? Not me! The whole space feels more like a "living room" and less like a narrow galley. 




The chair is super comfy. It rocks, swivels and reclines. The ottoman rocks too. This will mainly be Karin's chair because I have my computer set up on the other side on a little desk. This kinda sucks for me. Even though I'm a lot more comfortable now than I was. I may have to kick her out for movies and TV I'm thinking. Fair is fair, right???

Spoiled rotten, that's what I say!




12 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how much room you gain by getting rid of that couch? We tore ours out, too, and haven't regretted it for a second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie- I hemmed and hawed about doing this. But yeah, so very glad that we did!

      Delete
  2. Right? It happened the same way for us. We thought 'this isn't bad, we'll keep it,' then all of a sudden the thing started to cripple me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roxie- It went from looking and feeling great to Karin tossing and turning on it and it visibly showing a sag where she sits. After that I couldn't deny her a better alternative, now could I? :)

      Delete
  3. That looks fantastic! Changed the whole space for the better. Noice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly! We intend to keep the improvements coming. :)

      Delete
  4. Definitely love the new look. I don't want to part with my couch but I do want to take out the dinette (never use it)and put a lounge chair there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sassy- I think that sounds like a fabulous idea. We're undecided as yet as to whether to keep or toss the dinette. We use the storage underneath the benches and we use the table for food prep since I only have a teeny tiny counter space. Think we'll give ourselves some more time living in the RV before making that call.

      Delete
  5. Looks great. We've been thinking about doing that, recovering it (it's currently slip covered) or replacing it with a futon but just can't commit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your changes. How do you secure the chair on that new floor when traveling? I added a comfy work chair on wheels in my "office" space and after a couple of different takes on the matter of securing a chair on wheels when traveling have finally hit an workable answer. I have 2 pairs of men's sport socks filled with rice and knotted at the top. I simply wrap one rice sock around each wheel before heading out and the chair never moves. Bonus: you can hit the socks in the microwave and use them on sore muscles after a long hike when camping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just so happens that there are these two metal hooks back behind the chair that the seat belts for the old couch were attached to. We couldn't remove them. So what we plan to do is use bungee cords to secure the chair to the hooks. In theory this will work great. Haven't moved the RV since putting in the chair though, so we shall see! :)

      Delete